Declaring a Religion Major


We are so happy that you have found the study of religion as interesting and compelling as we do, and want to declare a major.

As you begin, here are the steps to take:

1. Come in for some initial advising

If you are interested in declaring a major in Religion, contact the Director of Undergraduate Studies in the Department of Religion (404-727-7596) and schedule a brief meeting. Just prior to that meeting or immediately following, if you want to officially declare the major, ask for a declaration of major form from the undergraduate staff in the Department. Department staff will take the completed form and turn it in to the Registrar so that your major can be entered into OPUS. We can copy the other department if you are declaring a joint major, but you will need to contact the other department as well so that they can properly advise you on their side of the requirements.

2. Getting an adviser

After you declare your Religion major, you will be assigned a faculty member in the Department to serve as your major adviser. If you would like to request a particular adviser, ask about that when you declare the major. A request is generally honored when the faculty member’s schedule allows and so long as it does not result in overloading any individual adviser.

3. Seeking Advising

Your adviser will help you make choices with your program and be a sounding board for academic challenges and decisions. You should be proactive in making advising appointments and do this allowing plenty of time before pre-registration so that your adviser can find time on his or her schedule to meet with you during your mutually available hours. Try to think through your planned schedule or any questions you have before your advising meetings take place.

Fulfilling your Requirements

We’ve created a Majors worksheet (link here) to make it easy to see what you need to take to fulfill your requirements. Most requirements do not need to be fulfilled in any set order, but students are strongly encouraged to take Religion 300, Interpreting Religion, which is required of all majors, as early in their program as possible. It is designed to prepare students for work in more advanced courses, so ideally it should be taken in the fall semester of the Junior year, although we intend to offer it both semesters. REL 490, the required capstone course, is only offered in the fall and is reserved for majors at the end of their studies. It should be taken in your senior fall semester, unless other arrangements have been approved by the Director of Undergraduate Studies. In addition to the introductory or survey course requirement (either REL 100, 150, 211 OR 212), majors need two tradition-specific courses (each in a different tradition), so keep these requirements in mind as you look at what courses to take.